Wednesday, October 14, 2009

ELEMENTAL RAIN - PART 2

                                                  READ PART 1 HERE

“Take her down to the room at the end of the hall,” the old woman ordered with a waving of her arm.  “The sheets are clean and there are frozen wash cloths in the fridge.  I’ll be along soon enough.  I have ingredients to gather.  This looks nasty, so I’ll need the freshest growth from my oldest plants.  They’re the most potent.”
“Right.  Um, a, thanks,” Jake stammered, not able to look her in the eye. 
“Don’t thank me yet, your friend has a long road ahead of her.  You can call me Millie.”
Damn! The old woman can read thoughts, just as the rumors say.  Wonder what else is true about her? 
That wasn’t Jake Moran’s only problem, though.  She was right here, in his arms.  Even after all these years she could still affect him.  He nestled her into the bed, making sure the covers when up to her chin, retrieved a frozen cloth, and placed it on her forehead.  He sat down in the chair next the bed and waited for the old woman to return.  For the first time since he came to London, he had nothing to preoccupy his mind, so his thoughts wandered those he had been avoiding for the last ten years.     
He grew up with Lily, had been friends with her brother, Aristotle.  They were his surrogate family when his went back to Ireland and he was out on his own after graduating college.  He planned on leaving eventually because he realized that at some point he stopped seeing her as his sister and started seeing her as an attractive woman.  He never would have chose to leave without saying goodbye.  That hurt the most. 
After serving the five years, Jake was hardened and his reputation ruined.  With his strong build, all he could find was work as a bouncer.  From there, he worked his way up to Cooler, the fight ender.  His reputation was strong enough that his bars were safe.  People didn’t want to scuffle with him, so they either avoided the place altogether or kept the peace. 
A knock at the door disrupted Jake’s thoughts.  Millie returned with a mug full of something.  “I have the potion.  It would have been more effective if this would have been a full moon, but it will work well enough I should think.”
His brow furrowed, “What do you mean?”
“Well, it should be strong enough to completely pull her out of the fever, but it will be strong enough to weaken the psychic connection enough for her to fight it.” 
“Physic connection?”
“Yes, a mind link.  That’s the real problem here.  She’s locked in a battle for her mind.”
Releasing a breath he didn’t realize he was holding, “What happens if she loses?”
“Well, can’t say for sure.  It really depends upon how strong she is.  I’ve seen some battles where the body was secure, but the mind was lost.  Then I’ve seen some where both body and mind were lost.”
“How do you know when both mind and body are lost?”
“Because the body disappears.  Don’t dwell on what could happen, just stay positive about what can happen.  I’ll be back in a few hours.  Unless you could use a break now?”
“Uh, yeah, that might be a good idea.”
Nodding her head once, “Last door at the end of the hall across from the stairs.  I’ll give her the potion—,” Jake cut her off.
“I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” Jake warned over his shoulder. “She’s always had a mean left hook,” he finished with a laugh as he walked out the door and down the hall, his thoughts returning to him as soon as he shut the door. 
There was no turning back for Jake once the Green Dragon’s owner left it to him in his will when he died.  He couldn’t have left London then even if he wanted to because his employees and their families counted on him.  So he resigned himself to the life, fixed the place up, made it safe and began to encourage other owners in the area to do the same.  Those who refused, he bought out when he could or drove them out of business by stealing patrons.  Eventually, he owned all the bars, eateries, hotels, warehouses, other related businesses in this section of the docks, and collected rent from local seamstresses, beauticians, nail technicians and tattoo artists.  He’s kept people safe, so his area flourished and continues to flourish.
Jake made his way back to the room and opened the door in time to see Millie wipe non-combative Lily’s lips.
“She took the potion just fine.  Now, we wait.  I’ll be back to check on her.  You should notice her fever break in a few minutes,” she finished as she replaced the other cloth with a fresh one, walked out the door and closed it.
A few moments later, a moan from Lily interrupted thoughts. 
“Lily,” he soothed as he took her hand in his and kissed it, “you’ll be okay.  You’re safe now.  I’m not leavin’ you again.  I promise you that.  Just fight through this so we can figure out what’s going on.”
She gripped his hand, hard. 
“It’s okay, Lily,” he soothed, brushing her hair off her now cool forehead with his free hand. 
She didn’t release him, but seemed locked in a cool fever. 
He did what came to his mind.  He climbed into the bed, still holding her hand, and wrapped his other arm around her.  He thought she needed comfort, but wasn’t expecting such an intense reaction.  She let go of his hand but instinctively turned into him and clung, as if for dear life. 
He was more surprised by her reaction than his own.  He had been in a nearly constant state of arousal from the moment he cradled her in his arms, but managed to pause those thoughts.  Now, he couldn’t think about anything else.  He took a couple of deep breaths to clear his mind.    Wrapping his arms tightly about her he reassured, “It’s me, Lily.  It’s Jake.  I’ve got you darlin’ and I’m not lettin’ go.  Not this time!” 
“Jake,” she squeaked.
“What is it, darlin’,” he asked in soothing tones.
“Help me!”
“How do I do help you?”
“Don’t let go!”
With a light laugh, “I’m not lettin’ go, but what would happen if I did?”
“They’ll get me!”
Realizing Millie might be right, he coaxed, “Who, Lily?  Who’ll get you?”
“That man.”
“What man darlin’?”
“The one you thought you killed.”
Stunned, Jake’s grip loosened. 
“Please Jake!  Don’t. Let. Go,” she pleaded, wrapping her left leg around him, clinging tighter. 
That brought him painfully back to reality.  “Lily, darlin’, I don’t understand.”
She looked at him as she asked, “Do you love me?”
“Lily!”
“Do you?”
Swallowing hard, “I’ve always loved you.” 
Closing her eyes, she demanded, “Show me!” 
He kissed her, hard, but something wasn’t right. 
“Not enough,” she said in between gasps, “I need to feel your love Jake!  Open yourself to me!”
What the hell did that mean?  
“Jake, please!  I can’t hold on much longer!”
Something about her felt off.  He needed to help her hold on, but how?  Then one word echoed in his head.  FEEL.  No!  That can’t be right, but Lily was running out of time and he was out of options.
In one swift motion, he drove himself into her.  


READ THE COMPETITION - FORBIDDEN



Click to



5 Comments:

Blogger s7anna said...

I'm loving this!!! I want more...Things are already heating up and I want all the nasty details :P!!!

Happy Reading!!!
Best of Luck!!!
Anna Shah Hoque
s7anna@yahoo.ca

October 15, 2009 at 4:32 AM  
Blogger Gracen Miller said...

More please! Now, if possible. LOL :P I'm a bit impatient if you haven't figured that out yet. :D

Good luck!!!!!!

October 15, 2009 at 7:17 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Thank you Gracen!

Thanks Anna, it's nice to see a new friend here!

Hopefully I'll be able to give you part 3!

Carrie

October 16, 2009 at 4:10 PM  
Blogger Paula R said...

Hey Carrie, Part 2 was great...one thing I missed...when did Jake take his clothes off...I missed it...the ending was definitely a great way to keep up sucked in to the story. Can't wait for part 3. Was Jake in jail or military service? He served 5 years...my guess is jail, but I didn't get that sense in part 1.

Peace and love,
Paula R.

October 19, 2009 at 7:53 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Ha Paula! You don't have to take clothes off to do what they did, just move some stuff out of the way!

October 19, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home